Surgery and Day Surgery Services
Calvary St Luke’s Hospital undertakes planned (elective) surgical procedures.
At Calvary St Luke’s Hospital we offer Surgical procedures for patients who require overnight stays. If you don’t require an overnight stay you will be treated at our day surgery.
Many surgical procedures are now undertaken in a day surgery setting, meaning patients are admitted and discharged in a single day.
Surgeries offered at Calvary St Luke’s Hospital include:
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- ENT Surgery
- Dental Surgery
Planned surgery usually follows consultation and treatment by your GP and specialist. From either of these you will be referred to an appropriate surgeon. Your surgeon will discuss surgical and other options with you. If you agree to have a surgical procedure the surgeon will forward the appropriate documentation to the Calvary Surgical Admissions Team.
For all surgical procedures you will be required to provide your Informed Consent for the surgery or procedure to be performed. In the event of emergency surgery, your nominated next-of-kin or Enduring Power of Attorney is able to provide consent on your behalf.
We recommend you take the following steps before your surgical procedure:
- Ensure someone can drive you home after surgery (you’re not permitted to leave alone or use public transport)
- Arrange to have someone stay with you on the day and night of the surgery
- Don’t smoke for at least 24 hours before your procedure
- Follow instructions on which medications to take and which to withhold (this information will be given to you 1-2 weeks prior to your surgery date)
- Notify us if you have any special dietary requirement
- Inform your surgeon if there is any change in your health leading up to your procedure (for example if you’ve had a cold or fever)
Calvary Community Care can can arrange a pick up from the hospital, help with with the practical arrangements of returning home from hospital, and can also help give support during your recovery.
Note: Please do not bring any valuables or large sums of money (we won’t accept responsibility for loss).
Referral by GP, another hospital, specialist or healthcare providers
Calvary St Luke’s Hospital, Level 3
Monday to Friday, 9.30am – 5pm