For medical emergencies, please call 000 for Ambulance assistance.
At Calvary Mater Newcastle our Emergency Department is open for Medical Emergencies 24 hours seven days a week, including all public holidays.
Medical Emergencies are situations that you believe may be life threatening, or are causing you pain or some other form of anxiety. We appreciate that medical problems and unexpected events occur anytime and it may not be possible for you to access your usual care and treatment.
Anyone experiencing any of the following symptoms should attend the Emergency Department immediately:
- Breathing difficulty
- Chest pain
- Major accident
- Sudden collapse
- Uncontrollable bleeding
- Depending on the severity of your medical emergency you may have to wait for treatment.
- We regret any delay you may experience but ask that you do not leave the Emergency Department before your treatment is completed and you are formally discharged.
Please try to bring the following with you:
- A list of your medications and doses
- Your doctor’s details
- Your Medicare card
- Your health fund details (if you have private insurance)
- Your passport (if you are not an Australian citizen)
- A triage nurse will assess your condition and the urgency of your treatment. Patients with the most urgent conditions will be treated first.
- Clerical staff will confirm your contact details, Medicare and private health insurance information
- A record detailing your visit and management plan will be forwarded to your GP (with your consent).
Referral is not required
Main Entrance, Level 3