Join our Consumer Register
Patients, families, carers, visitors, and members of the community, play an important role in improving the quality of care provided by Calvary Mater Newcastle. Your input, ideas and feedback are invaluable to us.
Our Consumer Register is a group of present and past patients, family members and community members who have expressed an interest in engaging with Calvary Mater Newcastle on a variety of activities to ensure consumer feedback and opinions are represented within hospital activities and services.
New members are always welcomed.
You decide how you participate in the Calvary Mater Newcastle Consumer Register, depending on your interests and the amount of time you have available. Commitment levels vary depending on the role and your availability. It is entirely flexible and dependent on the individual. Participation is voluntary; you can accept or decline any offer made by the hospital to participate and you can ask to be removed from the Consumer Register at any time.
Members can take on a range of roles; these include but are not limited to:
- Being involved in the development and review of patient information (brochures, leaflets, fact sheets, etc)
- Participating in surveys, focus groups or community consultations
- Sharing your stories and experiences of health care
- Surveying patients and families about their experience using our services
- Joining a hospital working party, reference group or committee
- Participating in staff training and education
- Partnering with Calvary Mater Newcastle to formulate solutions and implement recommendations related to service improvement
- Participating as a consumer on staff interview panels
Depending on your involvement there may be some pre-requisites prior to participation, such as an interview. This will be clearly indicated when the opportunities are advertised to members of our register.
When people are involved in decisions about their own health care and our services, we achieve better health outcomes and can create better health services. Evidence shows that the involvement of consumers is more likely to result in services that are more accessible and appropriate for users.
With the help of consumers we can:
- Learn about your experiences and expectations
- Help us understand how well we are doing and where we can improve
- Gain input and advice from those that use or could use our services
- Ensure the information delivered by our health care professional meets your needs
- Gain expertise and advice from others on ways we can improve our services
All community members who use or could potentially use services at Calvary Mater Newcastle can apply to join the register. This includes:
- Family members or friends
- Community members from within the local health district
To join the Calvary Mater Newcastle Consumer Register, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have direct or indirect experience of using services at Calvary Mater Newcastle
- Have a passion for health care
- Be willing to contribute constructively towards improving the quality of care provided by Calvary Mater Newcastle
- Be willing to contribute on a voluntary basis
- Be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement
Please note, staff employed by Calvary Mater Newcastle are not eligible to join.
For more information about the Consumer Register you can:
Call: (02) 4014 4733 / (02) 4014 4714
Email: [email protected]
- Calvary: www.calvarycare.org.au
- Health Consumers NSW: www.hcnsw.org.au
- Health Issues Centre: www.healthissuescentre.org.au
- Consumers Health Forum of Australia: www.chf.org.au
- Australian Council on Healthcare Standards: www.achs.org.au
- Australian Commission on Safety and quality in Healthcare: www.safetyandquality.gov.au
- Catholic Health Australia: www.cha.org.au