At Calvary Central Districts Hospital we provide a comprehensive range of cancer services, diagnosis and treatment including chemotherapy, radiation therapy and surgery. Our focus is on patient care and helping you through your entire journey to wellness.
We work hard to continually improve the care we provide and access to the most advanced cancer treatment technology. Our treatments follow recommendations from our leading cancer specialists.
Our Cancer Care services include:
- Day Chemotherapy
- Medical Oncology
- Radiation Oncology
- Genetics Clinic
- Palliative and End of Life Care
South Australia’s first and only private Cancer Genetics Clinic is located at Calvary Central Districts Hospital. The Clinic provides assessment of inherited risk, genetic counselling and, if appropriate, genetic testing as well as personalised screening advice and cancer risk management.
Our expert team of doctors and nurses work alongside patients to decide the best course of treatment and care.
The expansive team includes medical oncologists, oncology nurses, radiation oncologists, surgeons, rehabilitation physicians, dietitians, pulmonologists, exercise physiologists and psychologists. Our goal is to see patients through the entirety of their journey – through treatment and back to wellness.
Calvary Central Districts Hospital works with Adelaide Oncology & Haematology, Adelaide Radiotherapy Centre, Radiology SA and Clinpath to give patients access to rapid, no-wait cancer services in the one location.
- Adelaide Oncology & Haematology was established in 2008 and is now one of South Australia’s largest private oncology and haematology practices. The practice brings together the expertise of more than 20 doctors to provide specialised cancer treatment to patients in the North.
- Adelaide Radiotherapy Centre is the leading provider of radiotherapy services in South Australia and the sole private provider. The practice provides rapid access to specialised Radiation Oncology Consultants, best
practice treatments, advanced techniques and personalised, affordable care.
- Clinpath Laboratories – a wholly owned division of Sonic Healthcare Limited – is a highly respected, well established private pathology practice, providing laboratory services to general practitioners, specialists, private hospitals, and aged care facilities in Adelaide.
- Radiology SA is a privately owned, Adelaide-based radiology practice, run by radiologists and nuclear medicine specialists for the medical community.
Cold Cap Therapy
Calvary Central Districts Hospital’s Cancer Centre is the only private treatment centre in the North to offer the revolutionary Cold Cap Therapy System to patients.
The system is designed to reduce hair loss while patients undergo chemotherapy treatment.
Cold Cap Therapy can be tailored to meet the needs of individual patients, taking into account their health, hair type and treatment levels.
Our oncology reconditioning programs are designed to assist people undergoing treatment for cancer to regain their quality of life and functional ability.
Calvary Rehabilitation Hospital at Walkerville also offers the MOVE Program, designed to rehabilitate younger women overcoming breast cancer. The sessions are conducted by a team of health professionals including occupational therapy, nursing, physiotherapy, medical dietetics, psychology and pharmacy. They cover:
- Fatigue management and pacing
- Goal setting
- Diet, nutrition and the benefits of exercise
- Use of medications and assessment
- Psychological impact of cancer and gaining confidence and coping strategies
- Complementary therapies and meditation
- Management of financial affairs
- Improved endurance and muscle strength
Referral to Calvary Rehabilitation Hospital is by General Practitioner, specialists, health care providers or other hospitals between 8am and 5pm. Our physiotherapist will co-ordinate patients’ programs and help with setting achievable goals.
Cancer Trials Unit
Calvary Central Districts Hospital has established a Cancer Clinical Trials Unit, providing eligible patients with access to emerging cancer treatments via a rigorously supervised research and trials program.
The Clinical Trials Unit is a logical progression of existing services at Calvary Central Districts Hospital, which offers cancer patients a full range of services at the purpose-built facility. Day chemotherapy, haematology, medical and radiation oncology, and a genetics clinic are all available in the one location, supported by the fully accredited surgical hospital.
The first clinical trial (for patients with advanced melanoma) is the only one of its kind in South Australia. Another two trials will begin at the hospital later this year targeting head and neck cancer and colorectal cancer.
Working in partnership with Cancer Trials Australia (CTA), the Cancer Clinical Trials Unit will contribute to the wider community effort of research.
Clinical Trials Director, Dr Rohit Joshi says “Clinical trials are an essential dimension of cancer care services. With the creation of the Oncology Clinical Trials Unit, we and our patients, have the opportunity to be part of revolutionary medical research.”
CTA CEO Dr Kurt Lackovic, said he looked forward to working closely with Calvary Central Districts Hospital to support their clinical research activities.
“Cancer Trials Australia is pleased to be working closely with Dr. Joshi and his team at the Calvary Central Districts Hospital, ensuring South Australian patients will benefit from CTA’s national network, which aims to ensure Australian patients benefit from new therapies sooner.”
For more information about cancer trials, visit www.cancertrialsaustralia.com
Referral by specialist or healthcare providers
Calvary Central Districts Hospital Cancer Centre
Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm