Surgery and Day Surgery Services
Calvary North Adelaide Hospital undertakes planned (elective) and unplanned (emergency) surgical procedures.
Many surgical procedures are now undertaken in a day surgery setting, meaning patients are admitted and discharged in a single day.
Coming To Calvary North Adelaide for Day Surgery?
Important information for Adult day patients and Paediatric day patients
Surgical specialties at North Adelaide Hospital include:
- Breast / Endocrine surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Dental surgery
- Ear, Nose and Throat
- General surgery
- Oral & Maxillary surgery
- Paediatric surgery
- Plastic surgery
- Upper GI Surgery
Planned surgery usually follows consultation and treatment by your GP and specialist. From either of these you will be referred to an appropriate surgeon. Your surgeon will discuss surgical and other options with you, and if you agree to have a surgical procedure the surgeon will forward the appropriate documentation to the Calvary Surgical Admissions Team.
The urgency of your surgery, and the possible wait before your surgery is scheduled, is determined by your surgeon and advised to Calvary in the surgeon’s request for admission documents. If you have any concerns about the possible impact on your health and wellbeing caused by a possible delay, please raise those concerns with your surgeon.
Unplanned surgery is performed on people who are admitted via an Emergency Department and who require immediate surgery to address their health emergency.
For all surgical procedures you will be required to provide your Informed Consent for the surgery or procedure to be performed. In the event of emergency surgery, your nominated next-of-kin or Enduring Power of Attorney is able to provide consent on your behalf.
Information for Adult day patients and Paediatric day patients
We recommend you take the following steps before your surgical procedure:
- Ensure someone can drive you home after surgery
- Arrange to have someone stay with you on the day and night of the surgery
- Don’t smoke for at least 24 hours before your procedure
- Follow instructions on which medications to take and which to withhold (this information will be given to you by your surgeon 1-2 weeks prior to your surgery date)
- Notify us if you have any special dietary requirements at the time of your admission
- Inform your surgeon if there is any change in your health leading up to your procedure (for example if you’ve had a cold or fever)
Calvary Community Care can arrange a pick up from the hospital, help with the practical arrangements of returning home from hospital, and can also help give support during your recovery.
We recommend you:
- Wear loose comfortable clothing
- Don’t wear make-up, nail polish or jewellery
- Bring all your medications, relevant x-rays referrals and information about your procedure
- Bring basic toiletries and reading material if you are a planned overnight stay
Please do not bring
- Any valuables or large sums of money (we won’t accept responsibility for loss)
Referral by GP, another hospital, specialist or healthcare provider
Calvary North Adelaide Hospital – present at Main Reception, where you will be directed to the external entrance on Level 1