Celebrating Harmony Week at Calvary 20 – 26 March 2023
23rd March 2023
At Calvary, everyone is welcome
Harmony Day on 21 March, and Harmony Week from 20 – 26 March 2023 is a time to celebrate the diverse cultures and customs of people from around the world, who may now call Australia home. The message of Harmony Week is everyone belongs. This theme aligns closely with our own Calvary values, and our cultural message of ‘Everyone is welcome’.
Harmony Week reminds us of the importance of respect, inclusivity and compassion in being for others, and gives us the opportunity to acknowledge the valuable contribution that people of all cultures and backgrounds make in the delivery of safe, quality care.
How we’re acknowledging Harmony Week 2023 at Calvary
To acknowledge Harmony Week, we have planned some activities across Calvary, including:
- Getting together to share each other’s cultural culinary delights
- Share stories about each other’s cultural heritage, traditions or experiences so that we can all learn a little more about where our colleagues come from, and what makes us all uniquely special wearing traditional clothing or the colour orange.
- Staff members at Calvary Mater Newcastle were invited to complete the sentence “Our diversity helps make this a great place to work because…’. All responses are now proudly displayed in the hospital’s main foyer.
- At Calvary Haydon, residents enjoyed cultural entertainment from a Chinese Community Group where they also will be planning to engage cultural communities throughout the year.
- One of our Calvary employees, Amanda, put together the “Little Book of Happiness”, a book featuring recipes from different cultures contributed by some of our residents, along with stories from residents on about what makes them happy. Download the Little Book of Happiness here.
We would like to thank all the staff, volunteers and residents who got involved!