Glenn Stewart wins SafeWork NSW Award
31st October 2017
Best individual contribution to workplace health and safety
Glenn Stewart – Calvary’s National Manager, Work Health, Safety & Environment, was awarded “Best individual contribution to workplace health and safety” at the SafeWork NSW Awards on Thursday evening 26th October.
The Awards reward business and workers with the highest standards of workplace health and safety and return to work outcomes in the State.
Mark Doran, Calvary National CEO is “very proud to see Glenn has received such significant industry recognition for his hard work.
“Over his time with Calvary the safety and workers compensation compliance and performance has significantly improved across the group.
“Glenn has helped Calvary along a journey of safety and his work in safety has been a catalyst for wider system changes in the business.”
Glenn joined Calvary in 2011 and set out to develop a group WHS strategy, governance framework and internal capability that would ultimately make staff safer whilst also delivering financial returns and reducing risk.
Through Glenn’s initiatives, Calvary’s WHS and workers compensation performance has improved across all of our lead and lag indicators.
- a 35% reduction in injuries
- improved governance and compliance through measurement and reporting , providing the management and board with lag and lead indicators of safety; including a monthly WHS scorecard circulated throughout the business
- the introduction of a single system to address complexity and variance across multiple industries and jurisdictions (52 facilities and four business streams) with varying levels of investment in safety resources
- the introduction of Calvary Safety Awards program recognizing individual, team and leadership contribution to safety
Glenn took an innovative approach by developing the Calvary intranet as a single platform for all WHS resources and continual improvement.
- Preventative and Corrective Action plan database – creates central visibility and accountability (1785 actions generated in past 12 months)
- Communication and Knowledge Sharing Platform – various online libraries for: Risk Assessments; Work Instructions; Procedures; Inspections; Minutes etc.
- Collaboration and Consultation – online collaboration forums and discussion boards to draw out safety experience and ideas generation and provide evidence of consultation
- Resources and toolkits – audit tools, facts sheets, work instruction library (383 documents), risk assessment library (328 assessments)
Glenn was one of nine award winners across six categories, selected from a field 29 finalists and 160 entries.
Read more at https://www.safeworkawards.com.au
Image caption – 1st image: L-R Glenn Stewart, National Manager, Work Health, Safety & Environment and Mark Doran, National CEO