The Gibson ward at St John’s Hospital marries a busy oncology ward with a palliative care wing providing excellent end of life care.
As patients and families come into Gibson they experience a beautiful environment, lovely bay windows, beautiful garden and love art prints. Occasionally musicians play for patients having chemotherapy.
Palliative Care focuses on supporting patients who have life limiting illness who need support or reaching the end of their life. We support people of all ages with a wide range of conditions, such as chronic diseases, cancers and degenerative illnesses.
Our multidisciplinary team assist patients and their family to achieve dignity, comfort and maximum quality of life.
Cancer –care coordinators collaborate with pastoral care clinicians and specialists to
- Provide a holistic approach to care using a multidisciplinary team
- Provide relief from pain and other distressing symptoms Integrating the psychological and spiritual aspects of patient care
- Build relationships between patients, families and the healthcare team.
- Support patients and families in their decision making to allow patients to be cared for throughout their illness and die in comfort in the place of their choosing.
At Calvary St John’s Hospital we do this through:
- Providing a holistic approach to care using a multidisciplinary team
- Providing relief from pain and other distressing symptoms Integrating the psychological and spiritual aspects of patient care
- Supporting patients and families in their decision making Building relationships between patients, families and the healthcare team.
- Providing support to allow you to be cared for throughout your illness and die in comfort in the place of your choosing.
We work in collaboration with our visiting Medical Specialists to prove palliative care as an inpatient service. Our multidisciplinary team consists of:
- Hospital Medical Doctor
- Cancer Care Coordinators
- Pastoral carers
- Social Worker
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Pathologist
- Hotel services
- Administration Staff
Referral by GP or medical specialist
Gibson Unit, Calvary St John’s Hospital