Hyson Green Mental Health
Hyson Green is the only dedicated private mental health facility in Canberra, servicing Canberra and surrounding districts.
We offer both day and in-patient programs and support for more than 500 patients a year who exhibit common mental health conditions including anxiety, depression and mood disorders.
The Hyson Green team is led by Dr John Saboisky, psychiatrist and founding Medical Director. Our team is passionate in supporting patients to achieve their best possible outcomes with high quality tailored programs to suit individual needs.
Located next to Calvary Bruce Private Hospital, Hyson Green is surrounded by a natural, private bush setting and offers a peaceful and healing environment incorporating a tranquil reflection pool.
Did you know that mental health is just as important as your physical health? People with severe mental health problems have up to 32 years less life expectancy*. Maintaining your mental health is a lifelong commitment just like diet and exercise.
You are not alone, at least one in five people seek help*. Taking action early builds resilience sooner for a happier, healthier life.
*Healthy Canberra ‘Australian Capital Territory Chief Health Officer’s Report 2016’ found:
- 1 in 5 people reported receiving a mental health diagnosis in the preceding 12 months
- ACT residents (16%) were more likely to report being diagnosed with a mental and behavioural disorder than their national counterparts (14%)
- Anxiety was the most frequently reported mental health diagnosis and has risen since 2007-2008
- Depressive disorders are associated with increased prevalence of chronic diseases
- ACT residents are more likely to be diagnosed with a mental disorder than their national counterpart
- People living with severe mental illness have been estimated to have up to 32 years less life expectancy than the general population
Hyson Green underwent a $2.5 million upgrade early in 2017, providing more capacity to meet increasing demand for mental health services in ACT and surrounding districts.
The newly renovated facilities provide an additional eight more people access to the Hyson Green 30-day treatment program, taking the total number of beds on offer up to 28.
Hyson Green offers a choice of accommodation ranging from single rooms with an ensuite to executive suites with private sitting rooms, including a separate post-natal depression suite; along with consulting rooms, large dining and lounge rooms, therapy rooms and recreational facilities.
Residential and day programs
Hyson Green have recently introduced a new voluntary day program offering patients in the ACT and surrounding districts an opportunity to treat common conditions such as anxiety and depression.
- The Day Patient Programs include both ongoing (open) and fixed-period (closed) groups
- The most frequently run groups are Overcoming Depression Program; Managing Anxiety Program (closed); and the Individual Mood Disorders group (open).
- See below for more information:
- The Hyson Green in-patient program runs group and individual therapy sessions incorporating:
- cognitive behavioural therapy
- assertiveness training
- stress management
- loss counselling
- conflict resolution
- communication skills
- creative therapy
- physical activities
- emotional regulation
- distress tolerance.
- See below for more information:
Hyson Green Overview of Services (PDF 1 MB)
Our specialist psychiatrists are supported by a dedicated team of mental health nurses, social workers and psychologists.
- Dr Paul Fitzgerald
- Dr Ann Harrison
- Dr May Matias
- Dr Murali Reddy
- Dr John Saboisky
- Dr Lakhwinder Bhatia
- Nishad Samad