We have introduced additional precautions at Calvary Mater Newcastle to protect our patients, staff and the community from COVID-19.
Similar measures are in place at all hospitals and health facilities in the Hunter New England Local Health District.
We thank you for your understanding during this COVID-19 pandemic.
Visiting arrangements – Amber Alert – Visitor Restrictions
As we continue to respond to the changing coronavirus pandemic, visiting arrangements at Calvary Mater Newcastle are reviewed regularly to help protect our patients, staff and the community from COVID-19.
Due to an increased number of patients with COVID-19, Calvary Mater Newcastle has temporarily restricted inpatient visitors to our hospital.
Virtual visiting arrangements are available on request.
Visitors will only be permitted in limited circumstances:
- patients who are in a critical condition
- patients receiving end of life care
- compassionate reasons, decided case by case
- a support person for essential patient needs
No visitors under 12 years old will be allowed.
Those approved to visit must:
- Meet all COVID-19 screening requirements prior to entry, including:
- Have not tested positive to another acute respiratory infection in the last 7 days or have respiratory symptoms.
- Have not arrived from overseas in the past 7 days.
- When entering the hospital, undertake a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) at our self-testing booth prior to entering a ward.
- Wear a surgical mask correctly on entry at the facility, and for the duration of the visit.
- Ensure proper hand hygiene is undertaken when entering a ward.
Maintain social distancing and avoid all physical contact with patients where possible.
No visitors in appointments, except for essential patient needs:
- to provide direct physical support
- to provide emotional support
- if required for decision making
Carers providing emotional support and/or participating in decision making can be dialled into an appointment.
You will be screened on entry
Screening stations are located at each of the public entrances to our hospital:
- The main hospital/Emergency Department entrance.
- Platt Street entrance (open Monday-Friday 5:30am-5pm).
- The rear entry at Hunter New England Health’s Mater Mental Health Centre, which is co-located on our campus.
Patients needing emergency care will be screened as they enter the Emergency Department.
When you are leaving the hospital
When you are ready to leave the hospital, please press the green exit button located near the glass exit doors. Look for these signs.
COVID-19 testing clinic
We do not have a COVID Testing Clinic onsite. To locate a COVID Testing Clinic please visit: www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/health-and-wellbeing/clinics.
The Delimarche café in the main hospital corridor is currently closed.
Coffee and a limited takeaway menu, including hot food items, are available from Amigos café further along the corridor. The coffee cart on level 3 is also open.
Some seating is available along the main public corridor and on the terrace, but please be mindful of social distancing.
The Mary Potter Chapel remains open and all are welcome.
Further information about COVID-19