Consultation Liaison Psychiatry
Consultation liaison psychiatry research includes:
- The partnership with the Calvary Mater Newcastle Department of Clinical Toxicology is ongoing for maintenance and outputs from The Hunter Area Toxicology Service (HATS) case register of hospital-treated poisoned patients. This case register was initiated by Prof Ian Whyte and colleagues in 1987 and includes a substantial proportion of Deliberate Self-Poisoning (DSP) patients included in the psychiatry component of the case register, added by Prof Greg Carter in 1995. The Hunter Area Toxicology Service case register has had contributions from multiple clinicians (Clinical Toxicology Registrars, Psychiatry Registrars, Psychiatry Clinical Nurse Consultants, ED staff and ICU staff, and others), administrative officers and research managers over many years.
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of the Hunter Way Back Support Service in reducing repeat deliberate self-poisonings, using an historical controlled trial design.
- Evaluation of the Accredited Persons Program, investigating the discharge decisions for the Accredited Person compared to Medical Officers; a 10 year prospective cohort study of people admitted to Calvary Mater Newcastle for deliberate self-poisoning.
- Investigation of the risk profile, after-care and repetition outcomes for Indigenous people who have been admitted to Calvary Mater Newcastle after deliberate self-poisoning.
- Screening for depression and anxiety in oncology patients
- Choosing Active Surveillance for localised prostate cancer: Psychological Adjustment and Quality Adjusted Life Years
- Somatic Symptom severity and Undifferentiated Abdominal Pain; Prevalence, Diagnostic Accuracy and Comorbidity
- Development of the Victorian Self-harm Monitoring System, University of Melbourne, Victoria
- Insight in Substance Use Disorder, University of New South Wales, NSW
- SMS SOS: a randomized controlled trial to reduce self-harm and suicide attempts using SMS text messaging, University of Western Sydney, NSW
- DEPRESsion Screening Data (DEPRESSD) HADS Group, and DEPRESsion Screening Data (DEPRESSD) PHQ Collaboration
University of Toronto, Canada
- Reducing Self-Harm in Adolescents: Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis (RISA-IPD),
University of Leeds, UK
- Psychological therapies for people with borderline personality disorder: Individual Patient Data Meta-analysis.
Centre for Evidence-Based Psychiatry is affiliated with Psychiatric Research Unit in Region Zealand, Denmark
- Parent-reported suicidal ideation in three population-based samples of school-aged Korean children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or elevated social problems. University of California at San Francisco, USA.
Our Researchers Consultation Liaison Psychiatry Clinical Trials
Professor Greg Carter
Clinical Director Consultation Liaison Psychiatry