Volunteering is at the heart of Calvary Lenah Valley
We are grateful to our many volunteers who dedicate their time to enhance the care we offer our patients, their families, friends and the community.
The generosity of our volunteers and donors helps us keep alive the Vision of the Venerable Mary Potter and support the most vulnerable in our community.
How you can help
Volunteers are matched to services that draw on their diverse range of skills and interests, including:
- Magazine distribution to patients
- General assistance on wards
- Meet & greet of patients and guests
- Filing and archiving
Volunteers need to be genuinely committed and work within their position description, adhering to strict confidentiality guidelines.
Qualities looked for in a volunteer:
- Reliable and responsible
- Positive approach to life
- Sensitivity and understanding
- Tact and discretion
- Non judgemental
- Sense of humour
- Team player
Volunteers need to be respectful of others values and beliefs.
All prospective volunteers have a selection interview and attend an orientation program. References and a police check are required.
Following the orientation program each volunteer receives induction into the role they will perform. Volunteers also attend mandatory training in fire safety, manual handling and infection control.
- To provide training to ensure volunteer workers gain insight, knowledge and skills relating to Hospital Services.
- To provide volunteer workers with the information required to work safely in a health care environment.
Training includes an introduction to Calvary’s Mission, Vision and Philosophy and an overview of:
- Calvary’s Services
- Hospital Services
- Patient contact and role of the volunteer
- Development of effective communication skills when speaking with patient and family members
- Physical, emotional, social and spiritual issues that people can encounter when in hospital
- Basic information about Grief, Loss and Bereavement
- Role description and the boundaries of patient relationships for the volunteer worker
- Rights and responsibilities of volunteering
- Duty of Care and how this applies to your voluntary activity
- Safe Work Practices: Manual Handling, Work Health and Safety, Universal precautions and Fire Safety
Interested in volunteering at Calvary?
If you would like to speak to someone about volunteering at Calvary, please contact our Volunteer Manager.
How to apply
To apply to become a Calvary volunteer please contact our Volunteer Manager as per the above and the application documents will be supplied to you.