Surgery and Day Surgery Services
Calvary John James Hospital undertakes planned (elective) and unplanned (emergency) surgical procedures. Our Operating Suite offers high quality, streamlined care.
Many surgical procedures are now undertaken in a day surgery setting, meaning patients are admitted and discharged in a single day.
Surgical specialties at Calvary John James Hospital include:
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Ear, nose and throat Surgery
- Gynaecological Surgery
- Breast Surgery
- Bariatric Lap Banding and Gastric Sleeve Surgery
- Dental Surgery
- General Surgery
- Oral and Maxillary Surgery
- Paediatric Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Thoracic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
Planned surgery usually follows consultation and treatment by your GP and specialist. From either of these you will be referred to an appropriate surgeon. Your surgeon will discuss surgical and other options with you, and if you agree to have a surgical procedure the surgeon will forward the appropriate documentation to the Calvary Surgical Admissions Team.
The urgency of your surgery, and the possible wait before your surgery is scheduled, is determined by your surgeon and advised to Calvary in the surgeon’s request for admission documents. If you have any concerns about the possible impact on your health and wellbeing caused by a possible delay, please raise those concerns with your surgeon.
Unplanned surgery is performed on people who are admitted via the Emergency Department and who require immediate surgery to address their health emergency.
For all surgical procedures you will be required to provide your Informed Consent for the surgery or procedure to be performed. In the event of emergency surgery, your nominated next-of-kin or Enduring Power of Attorney is able to provide consent on your behalf.
We recommend you take the following steps before your surgical procedure:
- Do not smoke for at least 24 hours before your procedure
- For overnight patients please bring one small luggage bag with night attire and loose comfortable clothing only
- Specialised equipment such as a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine should be brought into the Hospital on the day of Surgery
- You will be contacted by the Hospital via SMS the day before your surgery with admission time and fasting time
- Ensure someone can drive you home after surgery (you are not permitted to leave alone or use public transport)
- If you are discharged on the same day as your surgery please arrange to have someone stay with you on the day and night following the surgical procedure. Notify us if you have any special dietary requirement
- Inform your surgeon if there is any change in your health leading up to your procedure (for example if you have had a cold or fever)
Calvary Community Care can can arrange a pick up from the hospital, help with with the practical arrangements of returning home from hospital, and can also help give support during your recovery.
We recommend you:
- Wear loose comfortable clothing
- Do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewelry do not wear make-up, nail polish or jewellery
- Patients should please remove rings from both hands if possible
- Bring all your medications, relevant x-rays, referrals and information about your procedure
- Bring basic toiletries and reading material and or activity
Please do not bring
- Any valuables or large sums of money (we won’t accept responsibility for loss)
- Large luggage bags
For more information download the following resources:
Referral by GP, another hospital, specialist or healthcare provider
Main building, Garran ward.
Visiting hours: 8am – 8pm, with a rest period between 1pm – 3pm