Patient and visitor information
All patients excluding dental, should contact the Surgicentre on 8405 3600 before 3 pm on the last working day before surgery to speak to a Pre Admission Nurse. We will advise your/your child’s admission time and the proposed plan of care for the day. We will discuss any medications being taken at this time.
Your referring dentist will advise your child’s admission time. A Surgicentre Pre Admission Nurse will call you 2 days before to discuss your child’s admission and any special needs.
In the 6 hours before the admission time, you/your child must NOT have anything to eat or drink except water. You/your child may have a glass of water every hour until 2 hours before the admission time.
Take NOTHING at all after this time. DO NOT chew gum or lozenges while fasting.
As part of our infection control program, we ask that all patients shower on the day of their surgical procedure.
- Case to store glasses (if worn)
- Change of clothes for children
- Private health insurance fund card
- Medicare card
- X-rays (if applicable)
Please do not bring valuables or wear make-up or jewellery. You may wear a wedding ring.
There are many car parks in close proximity to Calvary Adelaide Hospital, including one directly opposite on Angas Street. You can find more information at the link below.
Please contact your private health insurance fund to check your level of cover as any excess or co-payment is payable on admission. Provider No. 0065360T
Self-insured patients are required to pay the total cost of their stay on admission. Please contact your surgeon’s or dentist’s rooms if you have not received a quote for your procedure.
We accept payment by EFTPOS,Visa and Mastercard.
To maintain patient privacy we do not encourage relatives or visitors to wait for you during your procedure at the Surgicentre. A member of our caring team will inform your relatives of your progress and an approximate collection time.
We recognise that your time is valuable and we stagger admission times to keep wait time to a minimum. However, we ask for your patience should you have to wait longer than expected. We will keep you informed about the progress of your care as the day proceeds.
We will provide written instructions for your/your child’s ongoing care at discharge with a 24-hour contact number for your/your child’s surgeon/dentist. Please call that number immediately if you have any problems. A Surgicentre nurse will ring you the next business day after your/your child’s procedure to check on your/their progress and answer any questions you may have.
This is also a good opportunity for you to provide feedback about your/your child’s stay at Calvary Wakefield Surgicentre. We constantly strive to improve our care and service and all feedback supports this aim.
Our experience shows that children manage better when they have to focus on only one parent, so we ask that you
- do not bring other siblings or relatives so your child has your undivided attention
- While your child is going to sleep and after they have woken from the anaesthetic, that only one parent is with your child.
If you intend travelling more than 1 hour from medical attention on the day of your child’s procedure, your anaesthetist may require you to stay in Adelaide overnight.
For most procedures, children do not need to change into a hospital gown, but we advise you to bring a change of clothes.
On arrival at the Calvary Wakefield Surgicentre, our administration staff will complete your paperwork.
- Nursing staff will admit your child, explain all aspects of care and answer any questions you may have. We will provide a brief tour of the facility.
- The anaesthetist will review your child.
- One parent may accompany your child to theatre while they go to sleep after which we will escort the parent back to our child-safe waiting area, located at reception.
- While your child is in theatre, you may choose to enjoy refreshments at one of several nearby cafes. We do not allow eating or drinking in the waiting areas.
- When your child fully wakes from the anaesthetic, we will collect one parent from the waiting room to stay with your child until discharge.