Quantitative Respirator Fit Testing at Calvary Bruce Private Hospital
30th March 2022
About Respirator Fit Testing
Fit test: a validated method of matching Respiratory protective equipment (RPE) to an individual. There are two methods of facial fit test – qualitative and quantitative:
- A qualitative fit test is fast and simple but can be influenced by the wearer. It relies on the wearer’s senses to determine if there is a gap in the seal of the respirator to the wearer’s face. A test agent such as saccharin or Bitrex™ (a bitter tasting substance) is used at a sensitivity level that demonstrates the user will be able to appropriately sense the presence of the test agent within the respirator by taste, smell or the urge to cough.
- A quantitative fit test requires the use of specialized particle counting equipment (such as a PortaCount™ or a AccuFit™ Fit Testing device) to provide quantitative, or numerical, measurements of the amount of face seal leakage present when a given respirator is donned by a particular user.
- PortaCount™: A PortaCount™ machine is a device used for fit testing and measures particles inside and outside the respirator in order to calculate a fit factor.
- P2/N95 Respirator: a medical device designed to protect the wearer from infectious aerosols generated directly from the patient/client/resident or created during aerosol-generating procedures e.g., bronchoscopy. The respirators generally used in healthcare settings are able to filter out approximately 94% of particles <5 microns in size and are known in Australia as P2 respirators (approximately equivalent to N95 in USA or FFP2 in the UK)
Our respirator fit testing service is conducted on-site by a competent fit test operator. We use the new OSHA Fast Fit Testing Protocol for a more efficient fit test that is faster and minimizes downtime and currently only conduct fit testing for disposable respirators (P2, N95, K95, FFP2/P2 respirators).
Our fees and charges
- Individuals with their own P2/N95 respirator- $150+ GST per person per respirator
- Group Appointments: 8 Appointments per day. $200 + GST per person per respirator
Call: 02 6245 3117 (Mon-Fri from 8:30am-3:00pm)