Carer Support Program
Welcome to the Bethlehem Carer Support Program page where you can find helpful information and resources and where we can assist you to identify helpful services in or outside the home and give you some support to manage your own health and wellbeing.
A Carer is anyone who provides unpaid care to another person who has a disability, has a mental illness, has an ongoing medical condition, or is an older person with care needs (Carers Recognition Act, 2012)
Carers are integral to the care for a person living with a life limiting condition or frailty. Carers also experience a range of emotions and needs while caring for someone.
Carers need support too.. but often find it hard to ask for or accept help.
Support can come from many places including family, friends, neighbours, workmates, sporting clubs, community groups etc. as well as professional services. Every caring situation is different. Building the support network that works for you and your situation is important to sustain you through the caring experience.
You don’t have to do this alone.
Latrobe University’s My Collaborative Care plan can be a helpful document to help you and the person you are caring for identify people in your network who can help.
Gather My Crew is a free app to help you coordinate your support network. Volunteers are also available in some areas through Gather My Crew Connect.
In Case of Emergency Carer cards can be carried in your wallet/purse to alert others to your caring situation.
Carer Support is available across Australia through the Commonwealth Carer Gateway. Support includes respite (taking a break), phone counselling, online forums, self-guided coaching, skills courses, information and resources.
Talk to a Carer Gateway Service provider on 1800 422 737 (Monday to Friday, 8am and 5pm). To talk with someone in your language, call the Translating and Interpreting Service on 131 450 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week in over 160 languages).
Victorian Carer Gateway Services by Region:
- South East: Alfred Health – Bayside, Cardinia, Casey, Dandenong, Frankston, Glen Eira, Kingston, Mornington Peninsula, Port Phillip, Stonnington
- Grampians: Ballarat Health – Ararat, Ballarat, Golden Plains, Hepburn, Hindmarsh, Horsham, Moorabool, North Grampians, Pyrenees, Warracknabeal, West Wimmera, Yarriambiack
- Barwon South West: Barwon Health – Colac Otway, Corangamite, Greater Geelong, Glenelg, Moyne, Southern Grampians, Surf Coast, Queenscliff, Warrnambool
- Loddon Mallee: Bendigo Health – Bendigo, Buloke, Campaspe, Central Goldfields, Gannawarra, Loddon, Macedon Ranges, Mildura, Mount Alexander, Swan Hill
- Hume: Family Care – Benalla, Mansfield, Mitchell, Moira, Murrindindi, Shepparton, Strathbogie
- Eastern Metro/Hume: Uniting – Alpine, Bass Coast, Baw Baw, Boorondara, East Gippsland, Indigo, Knox, Latrobe, Manningham, Maroondah, Monash, South Gippsland, Towong, Wellington, Whitehorse, Wodonga, Yarra Ranges.
- Northern: Merri Health – Banyule, Darebin, Hume, Moreland, Nilumbirk, Whittlesea, Yarra.
Carers Victoria also provide education, counselling and information sheets for carers.
1800 514 845 Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.00pm
Our clinicians are here to support you as well as the person you are caring for. If you have a question or need further support, please speak with a member of our team.
We also offer the following Carer Support Services:
- Carer Gateway
- Carers Victoria
- Support for Carers Programs
- Carer Help Website
- Centrelink Payments – Carer Allowance and Carer Payment
- Young Carers
- Carer Events
- Young Carer Supports
- Carer Card
To register for Calvary Bethlehem’s upcoming Carer Workshops click here