Palliative Care Activity in Australia
The most recent data reported (2015-2016 or 2016-2017) shows:
- 73,900 palliative care related hospitalisations were reported from public acute and private hospitals. This represents a 28 per cent increase in palliative care hospitalisations between 2011-2012 and 2015-2016.
- Eighty-five per cent of palliative care related palliative care related hospitalisations were in public hospitals.
- Approximately 50 per cent of people who die in hospital had received palliative care, an increase of 11 per cent since 2011-12.
- One in 50 aged care facility residence had an Aged Care Funding Instrument (ACFI) appraisal indicating the need for palliative care.
- Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) – subsidized palliative medicine specialist services increased by 31 per cent between 2012-13 and 2016-17.
- Palliative Care and end-of-life care within general practice are estimated to account for 1 in every 1000 GP consultations.