Pharmacy and Diagnostics
Calvary Mater Newcastle has a dedicated Pharmacy Clinical Trials team that are committed to ensuring the safe handling, dispensing, storage and recording of Investigational Medicinal Products (IMPs) for clinical trials.
The role of the pharmacy in relation to clinical trial research is:
- To safeguard subjects by ensuring that Investigational Medicinal Products (IMPs) are appropriate for use and are procured, handled, stored and used safely and correctly
- To ensure that IMPs are managed and dispensed to subjects in accordance with the trial protocol
- To ensure that all pharmacy clinical trials procedures comply with relevant guidelines and regulations
Calvary Mater Newcastle uses the “Schedule of fees for Clinical Drug Trials”- NSW Association of Directors of Pharmacy University Teaching Hospitals as a guide for setting the Pharmacy Department schedule of fees. Fees charged for conducting a trial reflect the workload and cover the costs involved. These fees are reviewed annually.
At Calvary Mater Newcastle we have an onsite Radiology Department, managed by Hunter New England Imaging Service.
Radiology can provide:
- 24 hour service X-ray service
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Mammography and Breast Biopsy
- Limited Ultrasound Musculoskeletal
- Multi-slice Computed Tomography (CT) Scans
- Nuclear Medicine including PET Scans
- 3D-planning systems for Radiation Oncology
- Orthopantomography (OPG)
- Vascular and Soft Tissue Ultrasounds
At Calvary Mater Newcastle we have an onsite Pathology Department, managed by NSW Health Pathology, offering a 24/7 laboratory service.
Pathology can provide:
- Routine diagnostic testing including Haematology, Transfusion, Clinical Chemistry, Toxicology and Drug testing, Microbiology, Virology, Anatomical Pathology, Molecular Biology, Immunology, Haemoglobinopathy testing
- Forensic Services available in all areas for specialist consultation
- Haemophilia referral service
- Autologous Stemcell Transplantation Service for Haematology/ Oncology patients (NATA accredited)
- Clinical Research Trial co-ordination of pathology testing
- Workplace Health and Safety Pathology testing