At Calvary John James Hospital we are committed to supporting you throughout your pregnancy and the birth of your child.
Maternity services at Calvary John James Hospital
- Antenatal Assessment
- Birthing Suite
- Childbirth Education
- Breastfeeding Clinic
- Lactation Support
- Midwifery Care
- Parent Education
- Special Care Nursery
Introducing our Deluxe Maternity Suite
- a large room with comfortable hotel-style furnishings including a double bed
- all meals for you and your partner from our Deluxe Suite Menu, including all-day dining menu
- Morning and afternoon tea
- Complimentary toiletries
- mini bar stocked daily with a range of snacks and beverages
- coffee machine
- large flat screen SMART TV
- lactation consultant available for advice and support
- minimum two night stay for couples
For more information contact us on (02) 6281 8370
Accommodation and Facilities
Our birthing suites are designed with an emphasis on comfort, and offer you a relaxing, safe, comfortable environment in which to have your baby. We also actively encourage your partner and/or support person to be involved in your care throughout labour, birth and beyond. Overnight accommodation is also available for your partner / support person.
Accommodation for you and your support person at Calvary John James Hospital includes:
- Spacious private room
- Ensuite with baby bath
- Flexible menu options
- Snacks available 24hrs
- Breastfeeding chair
- Portable bassinet
- Baby change facility
- Nappies, wipes
- Air conditioned
- Spacious gardens
Calvary John James Hospital education sessions are delivered in an interactive and supportive environment. We offer Antenatal classes to prepare parents for the birth of your baby. We also invite mums to make new friends, get fit and feel fabulous at our post natal ‘Mums and Bubs’ exercise classes.
‘Mums and Bubs’ Exercise Classes (6-weeks postnatal)
Come and join us, get fit, feel fabulous, energised and meet some new people.
- Our experienced Maternity Physiotherapists have designed a program that is safe and sympathetic to the special exercise requirements of new mums
- Classes are designed to improve general fitness and to strengthen pelvic floor muscles all in a safe and supervised environment.
- The classes commence 6 weeks post –delivery (minimum) and run for 1 hour, once a week for 6 weeks.
For more information contact the maternity unit
Please join our maternity physiotherapists for an informative and relaxed session aimed at preparing you for pregnancy and birth. Attendance is recommended from 20-25 weeks of pregnancy, however you may attend the class at any time during your pregnancy. Partners and support persons are most welcome.
Time: 6:30-8:30pm on third Monday of the month
For more information or to confirm your booking, please call the maternity unit
After your baby is born
After birth, your baby remains with you. ‘Rooming in’ is encouraged for all mothers and babies. This close contact will quickly enable you to learn to respond to your baby’s cues.
Your midwife or nurse will provide support and assistance to you with care and feeding of your baby. Contrary to popular opinion, mothers who have their babies with them at night do not lose sleep, in comparison with mothers whose babies are in a nursery. In fact, there may be some beneficial effects including better quality sleep. You are less likely to be disturbed by the sound of other babies in the night.
We welcome your family at any time and fathers may stay overnight.
Postnatal Care will be provided in the setting most appropriate for the mother and baby, usually at our Maternity Unit. We also have a Special Care Nursery to provide expert neonatal care to premature babies requiring special care.
Our Midwives can offer support and advice to mothers who experience feeding and lactation difficulties. A number of our Midwives are internationally qualified Lactation Consultants. Mothers have access to a dedicated session with a qualified Lactation Consultant.
The Special Care Nursery at Calvary John James Hospital is an accredited level 2 unit with highly trained personnel. We aim for each baby to receive the best possible care every single time and are proudly committed to supporting our vision.
At Calvary John James Hospital our Special Care Nursery offers care to:
- Preterm Babies
- Low birth weight babies
- IUGR (Intra Uterine Growth Restriction)
- Babies born with low blood sugar levels
- Babies with breathing difficulties
- Neonatal Jaundice
The Calvary John James Hospital Special Care Nursery is a 24 hour unit providing individualised care for preterm babies and continuous support for the parents.
Calvary John James Hospital’s Special Care Nursery includes:
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure
- Phototherapy Treatment for babies with Jaundice
- IV Fluids for babies with challenging low blood sugars
- Administer IV Antibiotics
- Newborn Screening Blood Test
- Continuous support for breastfeeding parents
- Provide rooming-in services for babies and their parents before discharging
- Parent Education, Discharge Planning and Follow-up
The Calvary John James Hospital Maternity Unit was founded in 1984 and in that time has built a reputation for providing high-quality obstetric services in a warm and caring environment. At Calvary John James Hospital we strive to provide the highest standard of health care to our patients through evidence based practice and access to the latest medical technology available.
Bookings and Care Options
Contact the Maternity Antenatal clinic on 02 6281 8730 to make an appointment for a pre-admission meeting with a midwife .