Research at Calvary Health Care Kogarah
Palliative Care and End of Life Research Projects
Calvary Health Care Kogarah (CHCK) Research Centre staff includes a Professor of Palliative Care, a clinical trials nurse, PhD students, a palliative care consultant and a senior research officer. We are also supported by a volunteer whose assistance is invaluable.
CHCK is participating in important studies that are being run across Australia. These collaborations include the Palliative Care Clinical Studies Collaborative (PaCCSC) and the Psycho-oncology Co-operative Group (PoCoG). Some of the projects have been funded by the Department of Health and Ageing, NSW Ministry of Health, National Health and Medical Research Council, Cancer Institute NSW and Cancer Australia and include clinical studies of medications used for pain, delirium, bowel obstruction and breathing difficulty. Psycho-social studies have included a study of how patients cope with the uncertainty of living with a terminal illness; assisting couples communicate about end of life issues; unmet needs of patients with high grade brain tumours; how family meetings with the palliative care team affect patients’ and families’ experience of decision-making during their time in palliative care; understanding the journey of patients from culturally and linguistically diverse communities; sleep among caregivers of patients in palliative care and a study exploring carers’ experience of the death – the support they received and their grief and coping over the first two years of bereavement.
Other research activities involve smaller projects looking at the quality of care for our patients, and how we can improve their experience of our service.
Professor Elizabeth Lobb
Liz Lobb is Professor of Palliative Care (Allied Health) based at Calvary Health Care Kogarah, and is an Adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Notre Dame, Sydney and in the Faculty of Health, University of Technology. Professor Lobb obtained her PhD in Psychological Medicine from the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Sydney in 2001. She has worked clinically as a bereavement counsellor and educator for 24 years. In addition, as a behavioural scientist, Liz has worked in psycho-oncology and palliative care research for 23 years. She has established national and international research collaborations and pursued independent multi-disciplinary clinical collaborations in oncology, haematology, cancer genetics and palliative care.
Professor Lobb’s passion for palliative care and end of life research is motivated by a desire to provide enhanced evidence-based communication and psycho-social care across the cancer continuum from diagnosis, through treatment, remission and survivorship or relapse, palliative care and bereavement support for families and caregivers.
- Research participation by older people with impaired decision-making capacity: A scoping review of consumers’ perspectives and experiences. Hosie, A; Kochovska, S., Ries, N., Caplan, G., Agar, M., Gilmore, I., Sheehan, C., Parker, D., Sinclair, C., Collier, A., Visser, M., Xu, X., Chye, R., Lobb, E.A., Sheahan, L., Brown, L., Lee, W., Sanderson, C., Amgarth-Duff, I. Funding: SPHERE-AAA-CAG
- Phase II (pilot) cluster randomised controlled trial of a multi-component multi-disciplinary non-pharmacological intervention to prevent delirium for hospitalised people with advanced breast cancer. Agar, M., Hosie, A.M., Davis, J.M. et al
- Breathlessness, Exertion And Morphine Sulphate Study (BEAMS): A pragmatic, phase III, multi-site, double-blind, placebo controlled, parallel arm, dose increment randomised trial of regular, low dose extended release morphine for chronic refractory breathlessness. Sheehan, C (CI at Calvary Kogarah) PaCCSC
- Randomised, double blind, placebo controlled phase III trial of oral melatonin for the prevention of delirium in hospital in people with advanced cancer. Sheehan, C. (CI at Calvary Kogarah) PaCCSC
- The Life Space Validation Study. Phillips, J, Sheehan, C.
- Zordan, R., Bell, M., Prince, M., Remedios, C., Lobb, E.A., Hall, C., Hudson, P. Long term prevalence and predictors of prolonged grief disorder amongst bereaved cancer caregivers: A cohort study. Palliative & Supportive Care. doi: 10.1017/S14789515180010138. Published Online on 15 February 2019.
- Green, A., Jerzmanowski, N., Green, M., Lobb, E.A. (2018). “Death is difficult in any language”: A qualitative study of palliative care professionals’ views on providing end of life care to patients from Culturally and Linguistically Diverse backgrounds. Palliative Medicine. 32(8) 1419–1427. Editor’s Choice – September 2018
- Green, A., Jerzmanowski, N., Thristiawati, S., Green, M., Lobb, E.A. (2018). Culturally and Linguistically Diverse palliative care patients’ journeys at the end of life. Palliative & Supportive Care 1-7. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1478951518000147
- Andriessen, K., Mowll, J., Lobb, E.A., Dudley, M., Draper, B., Mitchell, P.B. (2018). “Don’t bother about me”. The grief and mental health of bereaved adolescents. Death Studies. 42(10), 607-615. https://doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2017.1415393
- Lobb, E.A., Schmidt, S., Jerzmanowska, N., Swing, A., Thristiawati, S. (2018). Patient Reported Outcomes of Pastoral/ Spiritual Care in a Hospital Setting. Journal of Health Care Chaplaincy. https://doi.org/10.1080/08854726.2018.1490059
- Andriessen, K., Lobb, E.A., Mowll, J., Dudley, M., Draper, B., Mitchell, P.B. (2018). The help-seeking experiences of bereaved adolescents. Death Studies. https://doi.org/10.1080/07481187.2018.1426657
- Phillips, J., Lobb, E.A., Piza, M., Austin, P., Mohacsi, P., Currow, D. (2018). Identifying systems barriers that may prevent bereavement service access to bereaved carers: A report from an Australian specialist palliative care service. Collegian 25 39–43 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.colegn.2017.03.004
- Stomski, N., Petterson, A., Kristjanson, L., Lobb, E.A., Phillips, M., Williams, A., Morrison, P., Joske, D. (2018). The Effect of Self-Selected Complementary Therapies on Cancer Patients’ Quality of Life and Symptom Distress: A Prospective Cohort Study in an Integrative Oncology Setting. Complementary Therapies in Medicine, 37, 1–5
- Snowden, A., Lobb, EA., Schmidt, S., Swing, A., Logan, P., McFarlane, C. (2018).“What’s on your mind”. The only necessary question. Journal for the Study of Spirituality, 8(1), 19-33. https://doi.org/10.1080/20440243.2018.1431031
- Cahill, P., Philips, J., Lobb, E.A., Sanderson, C. (2018). The VOICE Study – Valuing Opinions, Individual Communication and Experience: Building the evidence base for undertaking patient-centered family meeting in palliative in palliative care: A mixed methods study. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 4(51). doi: 10.1186/s40814-017-0225-9
- Halkett, G.K.B., Lobb, E.A., Miller, L., Shaw, T., Moorin, R., Long, A., King, A., Clarke, J., Fewster, S., Nowak, N.K. (2017). Do carer’s levels of unmet needs change over time when caring for patients diagnosed with high grade glioma and how are these needs correlated with distress? Supp. Care in Cancer. 26(1), 275-286
- Sanderson, C., Johnson, A., Cahill, P., Phillips, J., Lobb, E.A. (2017). Patient-centered family meetings in palliative care: Exploring a different approach to communication with patients and families at the end of life. Annals of Palliative Medicine, 6(2), 195-205. doi: 10.21037/apm.2017.08.11
- Maltby, K., Sanderson, C., Lobb, E.A., Phillips, J. (2017). Investigation of sleep disturbances in caregivers of advance cancer patients: A systematic review. Palliative & Supportive Care, 15, 125-140
- Hosie, A.M., Agar, M., Lobb, E.A., Davidson, P., Phillips. J. (2017). Improving delirium recognition and assessment for patients receiving palliative care: A mixed-methods meta-synthesis. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 75, 123–129
- Monterosso, L., Lobb, E.A., Krishnasamy, M., Yates, P., White, K. (2017). Living with multiple myeloma: A focus group study of concerns and unmet needs. Journal of Patient Experience, 1(10). doi: 10.1177/2374373517715011
- Monterosso, L., Taylor, K., Platt, V., Lobb, E.A., Krishnasamy, M., Yates, P., White, K., Johnson, C., Musiello,T., Bulsara, C., Stratton, K., Addiscott, T., Joske, D. (2017). A qualitative study of the post-treatment experiences and support needs of survivors of lymphoma. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 28, 62-68
- Francois, K., Lobb, E.A., Barclay, S., Forbat, E. (2017). The Nature of Conflict in Palliative Care: A Qualitative Exploration of the Experiences of Staff and Family Members. Patient Education & Counselling, 100(8)1459-1465. doi: 10.1016/j.pec.2017.02.019
- Halkett, G.K.B., Lobb, E.A., Miller, L., Shaw, T., Moorin, R., Long, A., King, A., Clarke, J., Fewster, S., Nowak, N.K. (2017). Feasibility testing and refinement of a supportive educational intervention for carers of patients with high-grade glioma: A pilot study. Journal of Cancer Education, doi:10.1007/s3187-017-1125
- Halkett, G.K.B., Lobb, E.A., Shaw,T., Rogers, M., Miller, L, Hovey, E, Nowak, N.K. (2017). Distress and psychological morbidity does not reduce over time in carers of patients with high grade glioma. Supportive Care in Cancer 1(7), 25(3), 887–893. doi: 10.1007/s00520-016-3478-6
- McSpedden, M., Mullan, B.,Sharpe, L., Breen, L.J., Lobb, E.A. (2017). The presence and predictors of complicated grief symptoms in peri-natally-bereaved mothers from a bereavement support organization. Death Studies. 41, 112-117. doi: 10.1080/07481187.2016.1210696
- Lobb, E.A., Davis, J.M., Lau, M., Graham, J., Thristiawati, S. You don’t know if you don’t ask: A pilot study using patient reported outcomes in a specialist palliative care service. Patient Experience Symposium, Sydney, April, 2019
- Thristiawati, S., Lobb, E.A., Davis, J.M., Lau, M., Graham, J. “What do I need to know about you as a person to give you the best care possible?” – Implementing the Patient Dignity Question into a specialist palliative care service. Patient Experience Symposium, Sydney, April, 2019
- Lobb, E.A.. Instigating Insight into the healing process. University of Hong Kong, December 2018 (Invited speaker)
- Lobb, E.A.. Update on Prolonged Grief Disorder. NSW Palliative Care Conference, Kiama, November, 2018
- Lobb, E.A., Davis, J.M., Lau, M., Graham, J., Thristiawati, S. “What do I need to know about you as a person to give you the best care possible?”: Implementing the Patient Dignity Question into a specialist palliative care service. Palliative Care NSW Biennial State Conference, Kiama, November 2018
- Lobb, E.A., Davis, J.M., Lau, M., Graham, J., Thristiawati, S. You don’t know if you don’t ask: A pilot study using patient reported outcomes in a specialist palliative care service. Palliative Care NSW Biennial State Conference, Kiama, November 2018
- Sanderson, C., Comans, T., McPherson A., Lobb, E.A. The impact of ambulance palliative care plans on the use of services by community palliative care patients: A health economics assessment. Palliative Care NSW Biennial State Conference, Kiama, November 2018
- Lobb, E.A. Is home the ideal place of care and death? IPOS, Hong Kong, October/November 2018 (Invited Plenary speaker)
- Halkett, G., Lobb, E.A., Phillips, J., Hudson, P., Miller, L., King, A., Clarke, J., McDougall, E, Attwood, R., Nowak, A. What support are carers requiring over time during nurse-led support provided as part of the Care-Is study? COGNO Scientific Meeting, Brisbane, October, 2018
- McCormick, D, Halkett, G, Lobb, E.A., Clarke, J., McDougall, E., Attwood, R., Nowak, A. Exploring the carer’s experience of looking after a person diagnosed with primary brain cancer: an exploration of carers’ experiences during nurse-led phone interviews for the intervention ‘Care-Is’. COGNO Scientific Meeting, Brisbane, October, 2018
- Lobb, E.A. Palliative Care Services and a Good Death International Work Group on Death Dying and Bereavement, London, Ontario. June, 2018 (Invited speaker)
- Lobb, E.A. Bereavement: An update on complicated grief. Palliative Care Network EAPC – International Conference, November, 2017 (Invited speaker)
- Agar, M., Hosie, A., Lobb, E.A. Workshop: Delirium in people receiving palliative care. 12th Asia-Pacific Hospice Conference, Singapore, July 2017
- Lobb, E.A. Research to Drive Change and Service Improvement. 12th Asia-Pacific Hospice Conference, Singapore, July 2017. Invited presentation
- Lobb, E.A. Translating Research into Clinical Practice. Catholic Health Australia, Research Symposium, St. Vincent’s Hospital, 30th June, 2017. Invited Presentation
- Sanderson, C., Mowll, J., Bindley, K., MacLeod, R., Lobb E.A. Death at home and the complex negotiation of ‘best care’: Learning from the Supportive Palliative Care Packages (SPCP) in NSW. Palliative Care Australia Conference, Adelaide, 2017
- Mowll, J., Bindley, K., Lobb, EA., Sanderson, C. “Like a groundhog day”: A narrative perspective on multiple loss in the context of coping with grief. International Conference on Grief and Bereavement, Lisbon, Portugal, 12th July 2017
- Mowll, J., Bindley, K., Sanderson, C., MacLeod, R., Lobb, E.A. Navigating the path to care and death: The experience of bereaved family carers in palliative care. International Conference on Grief and Bereavement, Lisbon, Portugal, 12th July, 2017
- Mowll, J., Bindley, K., Sanderson, C., Lobb, E.A., Mowll, J., Bindley, K., Sanderson, C, MacLeod, R. The experience of viewing the body in the context of palliative care and death of a family member at home or hospital. International Conference on Grief and Bereavement, Lisbon, Portugal, 12th July, 2017
- Mowll, J., Bindley, K., Sanderson, C, MacLeod, R., Lobb, EA. “You’ve got to integrate it into your life”: Growth and resilience in the context of expected and unexpected bereavement. European Association for Palliative Care, Madrid, Spain, 2017
- Mowll, J., Bindley, K., Sanderson, C, MacLeod, R., Lobb, EA. “I’ll never stop having flashbacks of that for the rest of my life:” Experiences of trauma in palliative care. European Association for Palliative Care, Madrid, Spain, 2017
- A cross-sectional study to identify the supportive care and health literacy needs of cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy treatment in a private cancer centre. Monterosso, L., Lobb, E.A., Bulsara, M. Funding: Australian Government, DIISR Collaborative Research Network, University of Notre Dame
- Confidence to Care: A multistate randomised controlled trial of structured nurse led, home based support and education for caregivers of people with high grade glioma. Halkett G.K.B., Nowak A, Lobb E.A., Agar M., Miller L., Moorin R., Shaw, T. Funding: Cancer Australia
- The effect of a nurse-led haematology survivorship clinic on patient reported anxiety and unmet informational needs : A multi-site Phase II randomised controlled trial. Monterosso, L., Lobb, E.A., Bulsara, M. Funding: Australian Government, DIISR Collaborative Research Network, University of Notre Dame
- Translating the Palliative and End of Life Care Blueprint into practice in a specialist palliative care unit: a pilot study using patient reported outcomes. Lobb, E.A., Graham, J., Lau, M., Davis J. M.
- Palliative Care: Translating evidence into action to improve outcomes for palliative care patients and their care givers. Phillips, J., and Lobb E.A., Funding: Australian Government, DIISR Research Collaborative Research Network University of Notre Dame
- A study of the impact of Ambulance Palliative Care Plans on patterns of care, treatment and hospitalisation, and on palliative care patients’ and caregivers’ experiences of crisis. Sanderson, C., Lobb, E.A. Funding: Australian Government, DIISR Collaborative Research Network, University of Notre Dame
- Light in the Darkness – Information and Resources for Palliative Care Cancer Patients and Their Families with Chinese Background. Man, S., Graham, J.
- A pilot study of the implementation of a palliative care medical consultative service into Residential Aged Care Facilities in South Eastern Sydney Local Health District. Davis, JM, Lobb, E.A., Graham, J.
- Identifying barriers to access to palliative care services at Calvary Health Care Kogarah by Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities. Lobb, EA, Green, M., Ellis, J.